Services are very different from products. So the marketing concepts need to be revisited while marketing a service. Services can range from financial services provided by the banks, technology services provided by the IT company, food and ambiance as a service provided by restaurants or even a blog where an author provides a service (information presentation, interesting reading etc) to his audience. Services marketing are dominated by the 7 Ps of marketing namely Product, Price,Ā Place, Promotion, People, Process and Physical evidence. The 7 P framework is one of the most popular framework for deciding a marketing strategy, right from strategy formulation to actual implementation.
The following form the marketing mix for services marketing, the first 4 P’s being the core and the next 3 P’s being the extended marketing mix.
- Product is your core offering.This is “the thing” that will fulfill the needs of your customer. If your product is faulty, every thing else fails. The attributes of the product, vis-a-vis the attributes offered by competing products and substitutes, are important in estimating the competitive scenario for the marketing strategy formulation.
- Price has a lot of impact on the service buyer’s satisfaction level. Often, paying a higher price makes a customer more satisfied. Price is often considered a proxy for quality and vice-versa. What is important to note that services being all the more intangible, the price becomes an important factor for the actual service consumption to happen, after service awareness and service acknowledgement.
- Place often offers a different side of value (utility) to the customer. Who would want to travel 10 miles to have a regular dinner, even if that is priced very competitively and has a super quality? Services are often chosen for their place utility. Closer to the customer means higher probability of purchase. Place utility is important to evaluate, for strategizing on the other 6 Ps.
- Promotion plays a role in the perception the possible target audience may have about your service. There has to be a fit between the promotion and the positioning. Promotion leads to service (brand) recognition and further establishes a proxy to evaluate quality of services based by potential customers. Many different promotional tools are often used like internet advertisement, special events, endorsements which happen out of the store or in-store merchandising like plastic dump bins and digital signage.
- People are crucial in service delivery. The best food may not seem equally palatable if the waitress is in a sour mood. A smile always helps. Intensive training for your human resources on how to handle customers and how to deal with contingencies, is crucial for your success.
- Processes are important to deliver a quality service. Services being intangible, processes become all the more crucial to ensure standards are met with. Process mapping ensures that your service is perceived as being dependable by your target segment.
- Physical evidence affects the customer’s satisfaction. Often, services being intangible, customers depend on other cues to judge the offering. This is where physical evidence plays a part. Would you like eating at a joint where the table is greasy or the waitresses and cooks look untidy and wear a stained apron? Surely you would evaluate the quality of your experience through proxies such as these.
Services marketing is that elusive concept which stays incomplete without a thorough understanding of 7 Ps. These form the critical success factors for any service as evaluated by a possible customer.
Another P which has grown in significance in Services Marketing is the 8th P, namely Productivity and Quality, more details of which can be found in our article “The 8 Ps of Services Marketing“
Do let us know if you liked our article or if you have any questions.
Have you read our article on the 4 P’s on Social Marketing?
Also did you read our article on the The 4 Pās of Marketing ā The Marketing Mix strategies?
These articles are highly popular posts in our educative blog.
Last few popular posts by Arpan Kar
- Pros and cons of structured settlements ā a refreshing overview - April 16th, 2014
- Be your best at interviews - March 24th, 2014
- Internet Marketing & SEO Workshop 2014 - January 30th, 2014
- Effective Ways Of Driving Traffic To Your E-commerce Site - January 26th, 2014
- Improving Search Engine Optimization for Existing Web Content - January 7th, 2014